Monday, March 18, 2013

Post 4

I've always enjoyed reading magazines, so when we received the assignment sheet for project number two, I was excited to see what ideas I could come up with. I started by picking up my favorite copy of People Fashion. When I'm flipping through the pages, I know almost immediately if there is something that I want to look further at or not. There are certain things that catch my eye as I flip through a magazine such as colors, pictures, word count/ size, and even the layout of the page. Like most others, if I see something that is visually appealing, I am more likely to stop and look at it. The first thing that caught my attention in the copy of People Fashion was a page titled "7 Spring Break Must Haves". Simple, and to the point. It was in bright big letters with pictures of beautiful models showing off whatever was being advertised.

In another one of my communication classes, I learned about effective advertisement, and ineffective advertisement. When it comes to magazines it's quite simple. Each magazine has a specific audience that they are targeting. Successful designers will place the correct ad in the correct magazine. For example, in a men's magazine, ads may have sexual images of women. And for that magazine, that would be an effective advertisement.

I haven't begun to design my magazine layout yet, but I have been brainstorming ideas. I want to do something that would attract a young woman around my age, because those are the types of magazines I have been reading and know the most about. I believe that in order to make my design successful, I just need to follow the criteria that I believe creates an eye catching advertisement. Big, bold, and beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment