Sunday, April 28, 2013

Post 7


I remember when I first saw this poster on a bus stop in Brooklyn, NY. I live in Queens, and over winter break I was driving to my friend's house in Brooklyn. My first reaction was to take a picture of it. Just driving by, I didn't get a chance to read everything that was on it. All I saw were the big bold words, "Stop being black". This caught my attention because without knowing what else the poster says, you would assume this poster is racist.

After reading the poster close up, you then realize it is stating the facts about the percentage of times black people have been stopped by the police and the amount of times the police were in the wrong. These posters are on bus stops and billboards all over Brooklyn. It is part of a larger group called RISE or Racism Still Exists, which is an anonymous group whose mission "is to illuminate some of the ways in which racism operates in this country".

I definitely think that this is an effective poster because it catches your attention, and makes you read the rest. The group that created this design makes these posters every month, and displays them on the streets of Brooklyn. This is a convenient way for them to get their message out to the community, and people can take the information and do with it what they want. The people of Brooklyn have definitely been talking about these posters.



No comments:

Post a Comment