Thursday, May 9, 2013

Post 10

Growing up in Queens, I was exposed to the art of graffiti at a very young age. Yes, I called it art. I believe that graffiti is a beautiful form of art. I'm not talking about what people "tag" their names on walls, although, I have seen some very artistic tags up on buildings, but throughout my years, I have seen some truly beautiful murals.

I started noticing graffiti in an artistic way in middle school. One of my friends, who still does graffiti to this day, painted me my name on a canvas for my birthday. It was so creative and beautiful, that I wanted to see more. I started noticing all the street art that is all over my neighborhood. There is one piece in particular that I've always loved. It's nothing special, but for some reason, every time I drive down Bell Boulevard, it catches my eye. It is a simple reminder to me that the simple things in life are beautiful too.



Many people think that graffiti is just vandalizing trains and bus stations, but there is much more to it then that. One of my favorite graffiti artists, is Caine 1, who is actually also from Queens. His work was done almost exclusively on the 7 train which runs through Queens. He paints in a cartoon like way, which makes for interesting images. One night, Caine was responsible for painting ten whole cars, which is one out of the two entire train cars ever painted.


Below are some murals in NYC that i love, I hope you will too!










No comments:

Post a Comment