Thursday, May 9, 2013

Post 12

My Tuesday and Thursday's class schedules are by far my favorite. These days, I have a fine arts class, and then this graphic design class. I did not purposely make my schedule this way, but I love the way it turned out! I get a break from the 400 level classes, and horrid math class that I have on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays. In the beginning of the semester, I had no idea I had any artistic ability at all, now I feel completely different.

Many things that I learned in my art class, have helped me in the design class as well. The first week in fine arts, we learned all about color. Primary colors, secondary colors, shades, and much more. I learned that yellow is opposite purple on the color wheel, blue contrasts orange, and red and green.

All of this information has been very helpful in creating powerful designs. When creating any sort of design, you have to think about the message you are sending, and to whom you are giving it to. All of this information is relevant to what you are going to put in your design. If you want something to POP, you would probably use two colors that go well together. Such as purple and yellow, or even the primary colors, red, blue and yellow.

We did two projects in fine arts using the element of color. The first, was a representation of a color wheel, including every color, and its shade and tint. Also, along with that assignment was to take the contrasting colors, and blend them together. The second project involved mixing all your basic red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black, and white, to create new colors that go well together. After we had our new colors, we had to dot them on a square 5 inches by 4 inches. This project helped me realize which colors go well together, and which do not.

I find it ironic that unknowingly, I had two classes back to back on Tuesdays and Thursdays that would directly correlate with one another. Even more surprisingly, I found out I'm somewhat good at art and designing my own projects! This opens up a whole new group of career options for myself. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to take both of these classes this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment