Thursday, May 9, 2013

Post 13

While I was doing my brochure, which was for a summer camp that I used to work at, I was searching for the perfect typeface to use. I thought about using Comic Sans, but then I remembered Amy saying in class one day that she hates that font. Before taking this class, I had never heard anyone say they hate a typeface. This was interesting to me, so I googled it. I got 5,070,000 results. I couldn't believe how much was out there about a typeface.

As I am sitting here reading and blogging about Comic Sans, my friend Kristen told me that there is a poster hanging in her classroom that says, "Every time you use Comic Sans a baby gets punched". It's kind of funny to me, but there really is hatred out there for this font. One of the main reasons people didn't like it was because of its widespread usage, particularly dealing with serious or formal subjects. People's biggest complaint about it was that it portrays a childish and informal mood.

I started thinking about when I was in middle school and that was my favorite font to write in. I guess everyone is right, Comic Sans is a childish font. So maybe I was right too, and I could have used it for my brochure on the summer camp. I found another typeface called Rockwell, that I ended up really liking, so I used that one and I think it worked really well.

Something interesting I found while researching Comic Sans, was the "Ban Comic Sans" movement. Supposedly, it was started by Dave and Holly Crumbs, graphic designers from Indianapolis, after a job insisted they used the font in a children's museum exhibit. Their main point is that a professional designer would typically think about the overall impact a font would have on a project, and an amateur, would just pick something they like, disregarding the fonts impact on the final design. This is the main reason that people use Comic Sans, because they think its visually appealing to the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment