Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Post 15

A great way of expressing yourself through art, are tattoos. This is a fun and beautiful way show people who you are. Ever since I was a little girl, I always knew wanted tattoos, I just didn't know what I wanted. After all, this is a piece of art that is going to be displayed on your skin, forever! Most people think long and hard about what they are going to get, before they actually go through with it. I made the mistake once, of getting a tattoo that wasn't thought out, and I covered it up. Trust me, I'll never make that mistake again!

However, the first tattoo I got, will always be my favorite. When I turned 18, I came up to Buffalo to visit my sister Rebecca who was already a student here. We went and got butterfly tattoos, for our grandma who passed away a few months prior to my 18th birthday. In my family, the butterfly symbolizes life. After my uncle died in the tragic attack on the World Trade Center, my family, especially my grandma, believed that whenever we saw a butterfly, it was him saying hello. Then, after my grandma passed, we found the butterfly even more meaningful. I got four butterflies going up my side, representing each person in my immediate family; myself, my sister, and my parents. My sister, got a butterfly on her foot, with my grandma's name, Evelyn, on the outline. My parents were never a fan of tattoos, and definitely didn't want their two daughters getting them, but they loved our butterfly tattoos, as they will always be a reminder of the loved ones we've lost.

Throughout my life, I've seen some great tattoos, and some not so great ones. Either way, tattoos are a fun way of expressing yourself. Whenever I see people who have them, I always stop and look. I like when they have meaning behind them, and tell a story. This is a great way to tell the world who you are, through images.      

No comments:

Post a Comment